Sparky is slang for an electrician, which I am not. However, I have done my own electrical work. And I have hired Licensed Electrical Contractors. Each approach has its pros and cons. This episode covers some of the reasons why you may or may not want to (or, should or should not) do your own electrical work.
- Who is allowed to do electrical work in Ontario, Canada.
- Following the latest version of the Electrical Code (either the National Electrical Code in the US or the Canadian Electrical Code in Canada)
- The pitfalls of researching online
- Second-guessing rules that seem to be open to interpretation
- How the Electrical Safety Authority’s messaging may have unintended consequences.
Electrical Code Simplified House Wiring Guide by PS Knight is an indispensable resource for Canadians wanting to do their own electrical work. You can buy it directly from their website: https://psknight.com
Electricity is dangerous. Don’t mess around with it if you don’t know what you are doing. Always follow your local laws and get the appropriate permits and inspections. And refer to the most recent edition of the Electrical Code that applies to you.