John Gerard from OurHomeFromScratch.com joins me today to talk about his home improvement experiences, his website and his eBook. John’s website is a combination of home improvements and woodworking and in this episode, he shares some of the lessons he has learned as a homeowner and the tools and resources he used when he renovated his kitchen.
Topics covered in this episode
- The phone call that led John to buy his first house.
- What John recommends you do first if you buy a “fixer-upper.”
- His choice for the first improvement made in his first house wasn’t necessarily the best choice. What John recommends you don’t do first when you buy a house.
- How a plumbing emergency led to a DIY failure and a learning opportunity.
- John’s complete kitchen renovation and why and how he (mostly) made his own cabinets himself.
- The tools he used to plan and design his kitchen
- John’s book: Renovate Your Kitchen the Smart Way
- The four things you need to consider before you renovate your kitchen: Do you need to renovate? What is your budget? What is the scope of the work? What are the functional requirements?
- The GOAL of John’s website, Our Home From Scratch.
Resources mentioned in this episode
Renovate You Kitchen the Smart Way (affiliate link): John’s book that walks you through everything you need to know before you start your kitchen renovation. More project management than “how-to.”
Western Dovetail: Custom drawer boxes made to order.
Ikea Planning Tools: Plan your layout with Ikea products (or products matching Ikea dimensions).
Cabinet Planner: Software that allows you to design cabinets, render them in 3D, see them in a floor plan view and create your cut list.
Our Home From Scratch: John’s website– a combination of home improvements and woodworking.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help or advice. Lean on the experience of others.